Richard M. Kleberg, Jr. Center for Quail Research
Donor: Caesar Kleberg Foundation for Wildlife Conservation
Richard (Dick) Mifflin Kleberg Jr., son of Mamie (Searcy) and Richard Mifflin Kleberg Sr., was born on November 20, 1916, in Corpus Christi, Texas. He received his primary education on the King Ranch Laureles Division. His family moved to Corpus Christi where he received his junior and senior high school education. When his father was elected to Congress, Dick attended school at the Virginia Military Institute. Later, he attended the University of Texas at Austin where he received a B.A. in 1937 and studied law for three more years. At the University, he met Mary Lewis Scott, and the two were married in 1940. When they returned to the Ranch, Dick became the Managerial Assistant to his uncle, Robert Justus Kleberg Jr. In 1954, Dick was elected Vice President to the newly incorporated King Ranch, Inc., and became Chairman of the Board in April 1968. Besides being an active member in numerous organizations, Dick made a substantial contribution to wildlife management and conservation in south Texas and around the world through his leadership as a Trustee of the Caesar Kleberg Foundation for Wildlife Conservation. Dick and Mary Lewis had four children, Sally Searcy, Richard Mifflin, III (Tres), Stephen Justus (Tio), and Scott Masterson, and twelve grandchildren. Richard Kleberg Jr. died on May 8, 1979.
Leroy G. Denman, Jr. Endowed Director of Wildlife Research
Donor: Caesar Kleberg Foundation for Wildlife Conservation
Leroy G. Denman, Jr., was born on February 18, 1918, in San Antonio, Texas, to Leroy and Mary Louise Denman. Leroy received his law degree from the University of Texas in 1939. Continuing the legacy of his father, Leroy served as the King Ranch attorney from 1939-1974. Early in World War II, he served in the infantry for the U.S. Army traveling to foreign locations such as Argentina. Currently, Leroy is an attorney for Denman, Franklin & Denman in San Antonio, Texas, specializing in estate planning, probate, real estate, and tax. He serves as a Trustee for the Caesar Kleberg Foundation for Wildlife Conservation, a position he has held since 1950. Leroy also serves as Trustee for The Tobin Endowment, The Nordan Endowment, and The George W. Brackenridge Foundation. Additionally, he serves as the Chairman for the Ewing Halsell Foundation. Leroy is a south Texas landowner whose passion for conservation and south Texas heritage has greatly impacted the success of the Caesar Kleberg Wildlife Research Institute. Leroy loves spending time at his ranch in Duval County where he especially enjoys quail hunting. Leroy and his wife, Diana, share four daughters and ten grandchildren.
Stuart W. Stedman Chair for White-tailed Deer Research
Donor: Neva and Wesley West Foundation
Stuart Stedman was born on August 13, 1957, in Houston, Texas. Stuart received three degrees from the University of Texas at Austin, a B.A. in UT’s Plan II Honors Program, a J.D. from its law school, and an M.B.A. from its business school. Stuart is the President of Stedman West Interests, Inc., a family investment company responsible for various family holdings. He is a former director of Carriage Services and a member of the board of managers of Strand Energy, L.L.C., a private exploration and production company. He is a trustee of the Stedman West Foundation, a past chairman of the Operation Game Thief Committee, a former director of the Texas Wildlife Association, a former trustee of the Museum of Fine Arts of Houston and the Texas Children’s Hospital. He has served on the Advisory Board of the Caesar Kleberg Wildlife Research Institute since 1991. Stuart is a south Texas landowner and is deeply committed to white-tailed deer management. He has supported numerous Institute white-tailed deer research studies on his private ranch in Dimmit, Webb, and Maverick Counties. Stuart has written several articles on white-tailed deer management, and given numerous presentations on white-tailed deer management issues. Stuart is married to Eliza Stedman, and he has two sons, Wes and Stu.
Meadows Professorship in Semiarid Land Ecology
Donor: Meadows Foundation
Algur (Al) H. Meadows, was born on April 24, 1899, in Vidalia, Georgia, to John M. and Sally Marie Elora (Daily) Meadows. In 1915, he graduated from Vidalia Collegiate Institute and later attended Georgia and Alabama Business College and Mercer University. After leaving Mercer to travel the south, Al worked with Standard Oil Company in Shreveport, Louisiana, from 1921 to 1929 and concurrently earned a law degree from Centenary College. During this time, he married Virginia Stuart Garrison, with whom he had one son. By 1936, he founded the General Finance Company and the General American Oil Company. Located in Dallas, Texas, the oil company expanded throughout fifteen states, Canada, and Spain. While working in Spain, he acquired numerous paintings by artists such as El Greco and Goya. During 1948, Al and Virginia established the Meadows Foundation to perpetuate their joy of giving to others. Today, the Foundation has generously benefited numerous Texas organizations and institutions. Upon Virginia’s death in 1961, he donated their art collection and a million-dollar endowment to Southern Methodist University to establish a museum of Spanish art. Al served on numerous boards of directors and as a member of many professional, civic, and social organizations. Al passed away June 10, 1978.
T. Dan Friedkin Endowment for White-tailed Deer Research
Donor: T. Dan Friedkin Family
Dan was born on February 27, 1965, in San Diego, California. He graduated from Georgetown University and received his M.S. from Rice University. Currently, Dan is President and CEO of The Friedkin Companies, with responsibility for companies and investments principally in the automotive industry including Gulf States Toyota, the distributor for Texas and the gulf states. He is an avid outdoorsman who is active in wildlife conservation initiatives in the U.S. and abroad. Dan and his family spend much of their time in south Texas on the Comanche Ranch in Maverick and Dimmit Counties, where they are involved in wildlife management and research. Dan is also involved in wildlife conservation initiatives in Africa. Dan is a director with JP Morgan Chase in Houston, a trustee of the Kinkaid School board, Chairman of the Kinkaid Investments Foundation, member of the Young President’s Organization, and Commissioner of Texas Parks and Wildlife Department. Dan has served on the Advisory Board of the Caesar Kleberg Wildlife Research Institute since 2002. Dan is married to Debra and they have four children, Danny Jr., Ryan, Corbin, and Savannah.
Elliot B. & Adelle Bottom Fellowship in Quail Research
Donor: Elliott B. and Adelle Bottom
Elliott Bottom, banker, rancher, and farmer, was born on March 11, 1934, in McAllen, Texas, to T. E. and Alberta Bottom. He graduated from Southern Methodist University in 1956 with a degree in Finance. Adelle Bottom was born on October 20, 1934, in Fort Worth, Texas, to Wilson F. and Valta Wood. She received a double degree, one in Spanish and one in English, from Southern Methodist University. Elliott’s father was a pioneer in the farming and produce business in south Texas. Today, Elliott is currently involved in the investment business, growing sugar cane, and raising registered brahman cows. He was the President and founder of Border Bank in Hidalgo, Texas, and Chairman and founder of Citizens State Bank in Roma, Texas. He also served as Chairman of the Board and President of First State Bank & Trust Company, Mission, Texas. Both Elliott and Adelle have served as active members of numerous organizations. Elliott and Adelle are the owners of the Wild Horse Ranch and Chimwara Ranch located in Hidalgo County, Texas, where they enjoy quail hunting and other outdoor activities. Adelle is also an avid gardener. Elliott and Adelle have been married for fifty-one years and have four children and eight grandchildren.
Betty & George Coates Fellowship in Habitat Enhancement Research
Donor: Coates Energy Trust
George Coates was born on December 22, 1898, in Abilene, Texas. He attended Louisiana State University and graduated with a degree in chemistry. George served in World War II under the Secretary of Navy in Washington, D.C. Betty was born on December 7, 1910, in San Antonio, Texas, to the Huth family, originally from Castroville, Texas. She attended Incarnate Word College in San Antonio. In the early 1920s George became involved in the sugar cane industry in Jamaica and later in the early south Texas oil boom near Mirando City. His oil and gas ventures later led him back to San Antonio where he formed the base of his operations. During the 1930s, George ranched in Starr County and during the 1950s added to his ranching operations in Wilson and Karnes Counties. George and Betty were avid supporters of many institutions. After George’s death in 1973, Betty’s philanthropy carried on and included: the San Antonio Symphony, San Antonio Museum of Art, Witte Museum, McNay Art Museum, Texas Military Institute, Louisiana State University, Incarnate Word, Trinity University, and the Southwest Foundation for Biomedical Research, among many others. They were married for thirty years and had two children and nine grandchildren. Betty Coates passed away in 1996.
Walter Fondren, III Fellowship in Shorebird and Wading Bird Research
Donor: Fondren Foundation
Walter W. Fondren, III was born in Houston, Texas, on April 29, 1936. As a young man, he was awarded the Texas Sportswriter’s “High School Football Player of the Year Award” in 1953. In 1955, he went on to play football at the University of Texas at Austin, where he was selected First Team All Southwest Conference Halfback. After graduating from UT in 1958 with a B.S. in geology, Walter was drafted into the National Football League by the Los Angeles Rams. He is a member of the Texas Football Hall of Fame and the University of Texas Hall of Honor. An avid sportsman, Walter and other concerned Texas recreational fishermen founded in 1977, what is now known as Coastal Conservation Association (CCA). The CCA was a guiding force to help reestablish the red fish to our coastal waters. Walter is the current Chairman of the CCA Board. He served on the Gulf of Mexico Fishery Management Council as a member from 1982 through 1992, as Council Chairman from 1989-1990, and on the Billfish Advisory Committee from 1994 to the present time. Walter received the Harvey Weil Sportsman/Conservationist Award in 2000, and the Gulf States Marine Fisheries Commission’s Conservationist of the Year award in 2002. Walter is married to Fran Leland, also of Houston, and they have six children and eighteen grandchildren.
Alice Gertrudis King Kleberg Reynolds Endowed Fellowship in Quail Research
Donor: Alice Gertrudis King Kleberg Reynolds Meyer Foundation
Alice Gertrudis King Kleberg Reynolds was born on September 26, 1928, in Corpus Christi, Texas. She was the youngest daughter of Richard Mifflin Kleberg, Sr., and Mamie Searcy Kleberg and was a great-granddaughter of King Ranch founder, Captain Richard King. Her interest in art, natural history, and Hispanic culture began early and continued throughout her life. In Austin, she was a significant patron of the Laguna Gloria Art Museum, the Zachary Scott Theater, the Texas Fine Arts Association, the Junior League, KLRU Public Broadcasting, St. Andrews Episcopal School, and the University of Texas at Austin, among others. In 1969, Alice moved to San Antonio, where her civic participation continued. She served as Chairman, Treasurer, and a major force behind the San Antonio Museum of Art, where she was instrumental in securing the exhibition “Splendors of Mexico.” She was appointed a Lifetime Trustee by the Museum. She also supported the Witte Museum Association and the Guadalupe Cultural Arts Center, among others. Her commitment and passion for local arts and culture will continue through the Alice Kleberg Reynolds Meyer Foundation. Alice had four children, Richard Reynolds, Jr. (deceased), Katherine B. (Chula), Michael M., and Alice K. Reynolds, and one grandson, Kleberg Collin Reynolds. Alice passed away on June 28, 2000.
Sam Walton Fellowship in Quail Research
Donor: Walton Family Foundation
Samuel (Sam) M. Walton was born near Kingfisher, Oklahoma, on March 29, 1918. In his youth, he became the youngest Eagle Scout in the State of Missouri’s history and, as an adult, received the Distinguished Eagle Scout Award from the Boy Scouts of America. Sam attended the University of Missouri-Columbia and received his B.S. degree in economics. He served in military for the U.S. Army Intelligence Corps, where he supervised security efforts at military installations and eventually reached the rank of Captain. Sam is the founder of Wal-Mart and Sam’s Club. The first Wal-Mart store located in Rogers, Arkansas, was opened in 1962. Today Wal-Mart operates in Mexico, Canada, Argentina, Brazil, South Korea, China, Germany, Puerto Rico, and the United Kingdom. He was among Time Magazine’s 100 Most Influential People of the 20th Century. In 1992, he received the Presidential Medal of Freedom from President George H. W. Bush for his pioneering efforts in the retail business. Sam was an avid quail hunter and hunted land in south Texas for twenty years. He was married to Helen Robson, his wife of forty-nine years, and they had four children: S. Robson “Rob” Walton, John T. Walton (deceased), Jim Walton, and Alice Walton.
Alfred C. Glassell, Jr. Endowed Professorship for Quail Research
Donor: Friends of Alfred C. Glassell, Jr.
Alfred C. Glassell, Jr. was commissioned through Louisiana State University-ROTC in 1934, the year he received his B.S. in history, and called to active duty later that year. Tapped by General Troy H. Middleton to serve as his aide-de-camp, Alfred served with General Middleton’s 45th Infantry Division in World War II combat in North Africa, Sicily, and Italy. During his lifetime, Alfred became a leader in the energy business. He was the founder of Transcontinental Gas Pipe Line Corporation, the first gas transmission system from Texas to New York, and has served on the boards of corporations like Transco, El Paso Natural Gas, and First City Bank Corp. Alfred has spent his lifetime pursuing excellence in the petroleum industry, marine biology research, sports, civic affairs, philanthropy, and the collecting of fine arts. A founding trustee and chairman emeritus of the Houston Museum of Fine Art, he donated his extensive collection of African gold to the museum in the early 1990s. Alfred has been a particularly generous supporter of marine and wildlife science, supporting scientific research for Yale University, the University of Miami, and the Caesar Kleberg Wildlife Research Institute. Alfred is the epitome of the gentleman’s quail hunter and enjoys spending time on his ranch near Falfurrias, Texas.
Jess Y. Womack, II Fellowship in Wetlands and Wetland Birds Research
Donor: The Womack Family
Jess Yell Womack, II was born on January 21, 1947, in San Angelo, Texas. Jess moved to San Antonio in 1958, where he became a life-long resident. Jess graduated from the University of the South at Sewanee, Tennessee, and received a graduate degree in business administration from Trinity University. Jess came from a family of ranching heritage, the McFaddin’s, who were instrumental in bringing Brahman cattle to Texas during the nineteenth century. This heritage, coupled with his personal business interests in ranching operations, stimulated his abiding passion for natural resource conservation. His Womack Family Ranch in Victoria County is a model of environmental stewardship. Jess was especially concerned with the conservation of his wetlands and wildlife habitat, and for his devotion to these efforts, was awarded the Lone Star Land Steward of the Year in 2002 by Texas Parks and Wildlife Department. Jess was also involved in youth hunting educational opportunities. He served on boards for the San Antonio Zoo and the Mission Road Development Center. He was also a member of the Order of the Alamo, the German Club, and the Texas Cavaliers. Jess married Helen Louise Stumberg, wife of thirty-four years, with whom he had four children: Jesse Womack, III, William Henry Crain Womack, Louisa Mayfield, and Dr. Virginia Nell Duncan. Jess passed away in 2005.
Frank & Mary Grace Horlock Endowment for Wildlife Research
Donor: Friends of Frank & Mary Grace Horlock
Mary Grace was born and raised in Houston, Texas. Frank was born in Navasota, Texas in 1925 and moved to Houston in 1928. Frank served in the Air Force for three years in World War II. He founded Horlock Beverage Company in 1949 and then in 1961 he acquired the Pearl Beer Distributorship. Horlock Beverage acquired the distributorship for Miller and Miller Lite in 1970 and sold the company in 1988. Mary Grace’s Great Grandfather, W.P. Zuber fought at the Battle of San Jacinto and was a noted Historian and author of Texas History. Mary Grace and Frank have been active in civic and charity events through their years in Houston and Kingsville. Frank chaired the committee that planned, located the site, and then built the George R. Brown Convention Center in Houston. Frank served on the boards of Capitol National Bank, River Oaks Banks and Mercantile Bank in Houston and Kleberg Bank in Kingsville. Mary Grace and Frank founded the South Texas Celebrity Weekend in 1990, a charity that has raised over four million dollars for Spohn Kleberg Hospital and Caesar Kleberg Wildlife Research Institute. Mary Grace and Frank have three children: Prescott who died in 1978, Chris and wife Patricia who live in Kleberg County, and daughter Cissy deceased in 1997 and survived by son-in-law Casey Taub and granddaughter, Cate.
F. Peter Zoch, III Fund for Research in Habitat Enhancement
Donor: The Zoch Family
F. Peter Zoch III (1942-1998) was born and raised in Corpus Christi, Texas. He graduated from Tabor Academy in Marion, Massachusetts and attended the University of Texas in Austin. In 1967, Peter moved to New York where he was a founder and president of Netter International, a diversified holding company. While in New York, he was involved in many civic and charitable organizations including the Young Presidents Organization, a director of the Boston Celtics, and a member of the Clove Valley Rod and Gun Club of New York, The Racquet Club of New York, New York Yacht Club, the Visitors Board for the University of Texas M.D. Anderson Hospital and numerous school boards. In 1991, he returned to Texas to continue his business and investment interests but also to return to the land he loved. He lived with Mimi, his wife of twenty-nine years, and their six children on a ranch in the Texas Hill Country. After returning to Texas, he continued his association with M.D. Anderson Hospital and several school boards; as well as his interests in racquet sports and bird shooting; but devoted most of his time to his love of the land. Peter restored and improved ranch land, and had an interest in native grasses, water sources, and wildlife habitat. Peter was a devoted naturalist who had an artist’s eye for the land and a keen understanding of nature.
David W. Killam Distinguished Lectureship in Deer Research & Management
Donor: The David W. Killam Family
David Killam was born January 7, 1952, in Laredo, Texas. He graduated from the Taft School in Watertown, Connecticut, the University of Texas at Austin, and Texas Christian University’s Ranch Management School. David raises cattle on the Killam “Ortiz” Ranch in Webb County and the Killam Freer Ranch in Duval County. His business interests include oil and gas exploration and real estate development. He is currently CEO of Killam Oil Co., an independent company active in south Texas exploration and production, and the Killam Ranch Properties, Ltd.. In addition, he manages the family real estate company, which concentrates on industrial and residential development. David is also director of the Laredo National Bank and Texas Oil & Gas Association and the M.D. Anderson Cancer Center Board of Visitors. David has served as an Advisory Board member of the Caesar Kleberg Wildlife Research Institute since 1997, a role that he follows after his father, Radcliffe Killam (1921-2007). David is a member of the Texas Independent Producers and Royalty Organization. He serves as director of Texas and Southwestern Cattle Raisers Association and is a past recipient of the State Wildlife Conservation Award. David is married to Hailey Killam. He has two sons, Radcliffe Killam II, and David Winfield Killam, Jr.
Richard M. Kleberg Fund for Native Plant Development & Habitat Restoration
Donor: R. M. Kleberg Research Foundation
Richard Mifflin Kleberg, Sr. the son of Alice Gertrudis (King) and Robert Justus Kleberg Sr. was born on November 18, 1887, in Corpus Christi, Texas, where he attended public schools. After graduating from the University of Texas in Austin in 1911, he continued on to study law and was later admitted to the bar. Not only was Kleberg part owner of King Ranch, but he was also active in the management of the Ranch from 1913 to 1924 as foreman of the Laureles Division. He was elected to the United States Congress in 1931 and would serve for seven terms. His secretary was Lyndon Baines Johnson. Kleberg was on the Agriculture Committee during his entire tenure in Congress and sponsored the bill to establish the Farm Credit Administration and authored the Duck Stamp Law. He also sponsored the Migratory Bird Conservation Act. He served as Chairman of the Board of King Ranch and was a member of the Texas Game and Fish Commission. He married Mamie Searcy in 1911 and together, they had four children, Dick Kleberg, Jr., Alice Gertrudis King Kleberg Reynolds, Marietta Kleberg Sugden, and Katherine Kleberg Yarborough and eleven grandchildren. The Congressman died on May 8, 1955.
Buddy and Ellen Temple Endowment for Native Plant Research
Donor: The Temple Family
Buddy Temple was born in Texarkana, Arkansas in 1942 and grew up in Lufkin, Texas. A 1960 graduate of The Lawrenceville School, Lawrenceville, New Jersey, he attended the University of Texas at Austin from 1960-1961, when he joined the U.S. Army and served until 1963. After working in various businesses, including Temple Industries, 1964-1966, he ran Exeter Investment Company as vice-president, president and chairman from 1968-1982 and 1986-2002. Buddy began his public service when he was elected a member of The Texas House of Representatives representing east Texas for four terms, 1973-1981. He was elected to the Texas Railroad Commission in 1981. After running for Governor of Texas in 1982, he continued his service on the Railroad Commission as chairman from 1984-1986. Buddy serves as chairman of the Board for First Bank & Trust, East Texas, T.L.L. Temple Foundation, and Caesar Kleberg Wildlife Research Institute. He also serves as a member of the board of directors of Temple-Inland, Inc. Buddy’s passion for wildlife and ranching brought he and his wife, Ellen, to south Texas in 1991 when they purchased their ranch near Freer, Texas. Ellen attended the University of Texas and has served numerous civic organizations, including Chair, Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center and Regent, University of Texas System. Buddy and Ellen divide their time between thier home in Lufkin and their ranch in south Texas.
Tom C. Frost Endowed Fund for Rio Grande Turkey Research
Donor: Pat and Tom Frost Foundation
Tom C. Frost, is a native of San Antonio, Texas. He graduated from Washington and Lee University, where he earned a B.S. degree with a major in Commerce. As the fourth generation of his family to oversee the bank founded by his great-grandfather, Colonel T. C. Frost in 1868, he currently serves as Senior Chairman of the Board for Frost National Bank. He began his banking career in 1950, was elected President in 1962, and became Chairman of the Board in 1971. He is past director of the Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas, the San Antonio Branch of the Federal Reserve Bank, and a past member of the Federal Advisory Committee of the Federal Reserve System. His interests in U.S.-Mexico relations led him to become a co-founder of the United States-Mexico Chamber of Commerce in Washington, D.C. He is also a past member of the U.S.-Mexico Commission for Educational and Cultural Exchange (Fulbright-Garcia Robles Commission). Committed to community development in San Antonio, he has served on the Board of Trustees of the San Antonio Medical Foundation, the Texas Research and Technology Foundation, and Southwest Texas Methodist Hospital. Tom is married to Patricia Holden, a San Antonio native and they have four sons and fourteen grandchildren.
Brittingham Conservation Foundation Endowment for White-tailed Deer Research
Donor: Brittingham Conservation Foundation
Jack Brittingham was born in Dallas, Texas, and currently resides on his ranch in east Texas. He attended Texas Tech and Southern Methodist Universities. After several very successful years in the family tile business, Jack dedicated all of his time to pursue his passion for conservation and hunting. He owns and operates several hunting ranches located throughout North America and has recently lent his wildlife expertise to a safari operation in Tanzania, Africa. Jack is heavily involved in wildlife conservation and management. He was introduced to hunting and fishing at the young age of nine by his father. His children, who frequently accompany him on hunting expeditions, share his passion. Through his company, Briar Lakes Productions, Inc., Jack produces hunting videos covering a variety of big game and waterfowl throughout the world. Jack also hosts the well-known television show, “Jack Brittingham’s World of Hunting Adventure.” Jack has written many articles related to his hunting adventures.
A. E. Leonard Endowed Scholarship
Donor: The A. E. Leonard Family
Al E. Leonard was born on the family’s cotton farm in Roscoe, Texas, in 1922. He founded the L&H Packing Company of San Antonio in 1961, a business that is still in operation today and operated by his son, Ken. Al was involved in other business interests prior to L&H Packing Company. He served as Chairman for the Southwest Meat Packers Association, Board of Trustees for the Southwest Theological Seminary, and Board of Directors and Executive Committee for the American Meat Institute. Al found great joy in not only ranching but in wildlife as well. An avid outdoorsman, he found himself on the plains of Africa and the Rocky Mountain peaks, but his true peace was found with his family in the outdoors. He instilled in his family a great respect for the land which is continued today by his grandchildren’s involvement in the habitat and wildlife on the family’s ranches. This is evident in the family being awarded the Lone Star Land Steward Award in 2001 by Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, a full ten years after Al’s passing. Al was married to Doris Helen Athey for forty-six years and they had three children, Sharon, Terry, and Kenneth and eight grandchildren.
Robert & Rebecca Palmer Endowed Scholarship
Donor: Robert & Rebecca Palmer
Bob is the retired Chairman of Rowan Companies Inc., an oil service company, a position he held for 32 years. The Palmer’s have owned a ranch in Brooks County since 1981. Bob has been a member of the Boone and Crockett Club since 1982 and is currently president. Bob graduated from Southern Methodist University in 1957 with a degree in Mechanical Engineering and an MS degree in 1966 in Engineering Administration. He is a registered professional engineer in Louisiana and Texas. He serves on the Executive Board of Southern Methodist University’s School of Engineering. The Palmer’s have a deep commitment to education and have endowed scholarships at several Universities. Both Bob and Rebecca enjoy hunting, as well as other outdoor activities. Rebecca has enjoyed hunting since the age of 10. At age 16, Bob was introduced to deer hunting by Rebecca, his future wife. Rebecca is a lifetime Associate Member of the Boone & Crockett Club and Bob serves as its President. The Palmer’s have been married for fifty-two years and have two children, Shelley Hayes, MD, and John Palmer and six grandchildren.
Phillip M. Plant Endowment for Graduate Scholarships in Wildlife Research
Donor: Friends of Phillip Plant
Phillip Plant was born in Seattle, Washington, on July 2, 1945, to Anne and Thomas Plant. The youngest of four siblings, Phil settled in Houston with his family during 1960 after his father retired from General Motors. He graduated from St. Mary’s University in San Antonio with a BBA in Economics and has been in the investment business for over 35 years. Phil moved to Corpus Christi in 1977 and is a founding partner of Hernon, Plant, and Oakley, Ltd. Phil has been deeply involved in numerous nonprofit organizations in south Texas. He currently serves as the President of the Texas A&M University Foundation-Corpus Christi and is a board member of the Kennedy Memorial Foundation, the Corpus Christi Symphony Orchestra, the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word in San Antonio, and the Christus Spohn Health System in Houston. Phil is an avid quail hunter and enjoys spending time developing his hunting lease for prime quail hunting. Phil also enjoys fly fishing and carpentry. He and his wife, Laurie, have two children, Phillip Plant, Jr., who lives in Corpus Christi, and Emily Plant Sewell, who lives with her husband in Boulder, Colorado.